A Filipino VSO volunteer's journey to the "Land of Thirteen Months of Sunshine".

Ethiopia . . . . . . . Philippines

"The drums of Africa have summoned me, and I will not rest until I know in my heart what the beautiful drumbeats mean."

---Reiza S. Dejito

Friday, January 23, 2009

Learning Amharic: "YiQirta, algebanigm."

One of the pains, or shall I say challenges, of going to another country is the language barrier. When I went to China for a short visit, I had twisted my tongue and racked my brains just to at least communicate with the locals at the very basic level. But after a few embarassing attempts, I was resigned to using sign language and exagerrated facial expressions. Most of the Chinese did not understand my English, and I did not understand their Chinese---so I left it at that.

But it'll be a totally different scenario in Ethiopia. I will be working there, interacting with my colleagues, other volunteers, and the locals on a daily basis. I have to learn the language as I can't risk being lost in translation---not in a strange place with an unfamiliar culture.

Because it has not been colonized, Ethiopia remains as a multi-ethnic state with 83 languages and 200 dialects. The main three languages are Amharic, Afaan Oromo, and Tigrinya. The people in Gondar, the city where I will be posted, speak Amharic, so in the name of being a well-prepared volunteer, I have started taking my Amharic lessons through . . . tadah! . . . Youtube.

I found these really helpful Amharic lessons in Youtube designed by the Lion of Judah Society. I am sharing here some of Amharic words and phrases I'm trying to memorize. Hopefully, I will have mastered some of these before I set foot in Amharic land. So here we go . . .

Selamta! - Greetings!
Selam - Peace
Ameseginalehugn - Thank you.
I'shee - All Right/Okay
Awo - Yes
YiQirta - Excuse me/I'm sorry.
Algebagnigm - I do not understand.
I'bakish - Please
Indemin allu? - How do you do?
Betam Dehna Negn - Very well.
Indemin adderu - Good morning.
Indemin walu - Good afternoon.
Indemin ameshu - Good evening.
Sint new wagaw? - How much does this cost?
Yihe mindin new? - What is this?

qurs - breakfast
missa - lunch
irat - dinner
dabo - bread
meTet - beverage
bunna - coffee
shay - tea
chimaQee - juice
wiha - water
asama - pork
asa - fish
doro - chicken

polees tabeya - police station
hakeem baet - hospital
yemedhahaneet baet - pharmacy
suQ - store, shop
migib baet - restaurant
timhirt baet - school
baete kristeeyan - church
bagno baet - restroom

This is it for now. I am halfway through the first set. I don't know if I'll ever memorize everything before the thirty-first. But this, I gotta memorize by heart: "YiQirta, algebanigm."

2 comments:

isko b. doo said...

wow! just saying thank you is a mouthful. I envy you though, i always wanted to be a VSO volunteer. hope everything works out for you.

Reiza said...

You can say that again. LOL. Learning a new language has never been one of my special abilities. Anyway, thanks for wishing me well. And I hope you find the time to volunteer with VSO too.

By the way, your blog is fabulous, and your writing style . . . INCREDIBLE! I'm hooked!